Monday, October 22, 2007

Hw 24: A Room of My Own

When I first started reading "A Room of One's Own," Woolf explained her thesis and she said that "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction"(Woolf 4). At first that means to the reader exactly what it says, but by the end of the book, you realize that it is more than that. "-give her a room of her own and a five hundred a year, let her speak her mind and leave out half that she now puts in, and she will write a better book one of these day"(Woolf 93). What Woolf is trying to say here is that although Mary Carmichael, in her opinion, was not a very good writer, if she had an atmosphere she was comfortable in both physically and emotionally, she would fill in the missing gaps to the literature she wrote.
I would say that I do have a room of my own. Not in my dorm room, but in my room at home. It is a place where I am perfectly comfortable and has a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. Like the name of our course, our blogs are a small piece of ourselves that we can be ourselves and show our opinions in every way possible.Woolf concludes the book by restating with what a women needs to write fiction in a room of her own. "The whole of the mind must lie wide open if we are to get the sense that the writer is communicating his experience with perfect fullness. There must be freedom and there must be peace. Not a wheel must grate, not a light glimmer"(Woolf 106).

No comments: